PDA

View Full Version : Co-Creating. Music in the park.

Neil Templar
30th December 2009, 04:28 PM
a few mornings ago...

it's night time, and i'm walking thru the park to meet friends there.
as i walk over the top of a small hill, i see scattered oil-drums, with fires lit in them.
the firelight dances on the faces of a number of people, some gathered in a central group, others scattered around the group in smaller groups.
a large tree in the centre of the scene provides shelter under its spreading branches above.
it's Winter, but nobody is concerned, the fires and the shelter are all we need to hang out and have a good time together.

the following night i go back, to find the same scene.
i go down to the large group under the tree.
these people are all guys i have performed with over the years, during my djing career.
each of them is standing by an oildrum-fire, with a piece of electronic music equipment.
some have computers, some have turntables, some have sampling machines.
others have pieces of kit that don't exist in "real" life.

i go over to Espion, an old friend. he's leaning over a strange looking piece of equipment. it has an unusual arrangement of keys, with undeciferable markings on them. he doesn't know what it is.
i tell him it's a keyboard which uses the Pythagorean musical scale, which is said to have notes that are very powerful, especially for healing purposes. it has the perfect OM sound..
i hit a few keys to show him, and he gets a feel for it, and starts to play it.
the sounds are enchanting.

as he plays these lovely vibrations, the other guys take it as a cue to start playing.
in the middle on a small stub of a tree trunk, Tom stands, and begins to conduct this electronic ensemble.
each guy plays his instrument, hitting samples, loops, notes, beats, all in perfect harmony with one another.

the small crowd draws in closer, and the atmosphere is warm, friendly, hushed, yet excited.
Tom conducts, and brings up the tempo. Graham scratches on his turntable, lyrics from an unknown author.
Keith plays a faster beat, and the music builds to a mellow crescendo..
layers of sound, minimal pinpoints of melodies overlapping, a waveform undulates on a computer screen, disjointed vocals add a human element to the whole thing....

then they all STOP.
leaving just the chiming tones of the Pythagorean scale, vibrating in the night...

i look around, outside the shelter and comfort of our tree and fire enclosure, it's snowing. 8)

Pythagorean healing sounds -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlp8aEW4yA

theory -
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta19.htm

CFTraveler
30th December 2009, 04:31 PM
You have a friend called Espion?

Neil Templar
30th December 2009, 04:32 PM
that's his performance name. why? what does it mean?

CFTraveler
30th December 2009, 04:34 PM
It just sounds so greek, and you had the pythagorean thing going on.....

Neil Templar
30th December 2009, 04:45 PM
i'm moving back to Scotland after new year, and all the guys in this dream are back over there, so i'm taking this as a sign to renew contact with them all and start collaborating again. a few of us used to be in a fairly large collective, doing something very similar to this dream.
maybe it's time for a reunion?..
i'll definitely be experimenting with the diatonic scale, and incorporating binaural beats into what i create too... 8)

Serpentarius
30th December 2009, 04:59 PM
Espion means a spy in French.

CFTraveler
30th December 2009, 07:18 PM
And EspÃ♥a means spy in spanish.

I wonder how you say Spy in greek?

Mishell
30th December 2009, 07:23 PM
noun

1. κατάσκοπος

verb