PDA

View Full Version : Deep Hypnosis v Mind Awake/Body Asleep State

Emm
5th May 2009, 05:45 PM
I've recently started training to be a hypnotherapist, and I just wondered if anyone could tell me the difference between deep hypnosis and the "mind awake, body asleep" state?

Some years ago I had a very memorable spontaneous out of body experience. I've often wondered if I could "revisit" it under hypnosis, and understand more about it. So far, I've not found the right hypnotherapist though.

Thanks.

Emm

ButterflyWoman
5th May 2009, 06:25 PM
I just wondered if anyone could tell me the difference between deep hypnosis and the "mind awake, body asleep" state?
Well, I'm sure people might have another point of view, but I've always experienced them in exactly the same way. I absolutely can't tell any difference between a "guided meditation" and hypnosis, and self-guided meditation feels pretty much like self-hypnosis to me. You could argue that meditation (at least some kinds) is more about "nothing" and "empty" and hypnosis is about "focus" and "visualisation", of course, but the body asleep/mind awake thing feels exactly the same to me in all cases.

CFTraveler
5th May 2009, 09:08 PM
I would say it's ways to describe the same state from the point of view of the purpose- deep trance, MABA, and deep hypnosis are the same thing- but one refers to a specific purpose (to receive suggestion), vs. to experience an altered state, but the level/state itself is the same.
Which is what OW said, but different.