PDA

View Full Version : Does your sense of taste work in your dreams?

Beekeeper
3rd October 2007, 11:27 AM
Does your sense of taste work in your dreams?

While I see and hear well in dreams, smell and taste are less developed. In the last few weeks I've had a couple of tasting dreams, which is really interesting to me. In one dream, one of my students had put powder into a drink and was giving me a cheeky look so I said, "Give it here," and tried it. It was the distinct taste of soluble asprin.

A week or so later a hairdresser dream character gave my sister and me half a glass of champagne and again I could taste it. Different.

CFTraveler
3rd October 2007, 01:02 PM
Only when I was younger and had an eating disorder. When I was younger I was borderline anorexic and just hardly ate. I remember dreaming I was eating forbidden stuff like cherry pie and brownies. I remember waking up from dreaming with the taste still in my mouth.
Years later, when I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes, and was put on a calorie controlled diet- At that time I developed a craving for cheesecake, but was not allowed it. I then dreamed of eating it and tasting it. Later on after giving birth, when we finally got home I was able to eat it but had no desire.
Go figure.
Now I'm fat and happy and still don't like cheesecake, unless it's
Godiva chocolate cheesecake. It's heaven.
:lol:

Beekeeper
4th October 2007, 12:52 AM
CF, your post made me hungry!

chips
4th October 2007, 03:03 AM
i remember a while ago i had a dream that i died (i think i got shot or stabbed in the throat), and i tasted blood. i think i read from somewhere that as long as you have experienced the sense in real life, your dream can immitate the feeling. but it can NEVER give you a sense that you've never used in real life.

ButterflyWoman
4th October 2007, 06:40 AM
Now that I think of it.... I've had dreams where I was eating something. Like... maybe wolfing down chocolate.... ? I can't recall precisely, but I'm sure I've had dreams like that, absolutely sure.

I've definitely had MANY dreams where I was drinking water, and I could taste and feel the water as it went into my mouth. Almost without fail, this kind of dream happens when I'm actually physically thirsty (and in the dreams, I keep drinking and drinking but my thirst is never quenched, which is pretty frustrating ;)). And yes, water does have a taste, at least to me. ;)

I should think that when the sense of taste is activated in a dream, there's some reason for it. Like... your subconscious is trying to tell you something and the best way to communicate it is with taste? Or smell....

I can't remember EVER experiencing smell in a dream, which is very odd, as I'm highly attuned to scent, to the point of being a bit of a scentophile (i.e., I'm a perfume fanatic and I'm always burning scented candles, essential oils, incense, etc.).

Interesting. Now I'm going to have to experiment with this and see if I can induce some "sense of taste" or "sense of smell" dreams.

Beekeeper
4th October 2007, 11:42 AM
I've definitely had MANY dreams where I was drinking water, and I could taste and feel the water as it went into my mouth. Almost without fail, this kind of dream happens when I'm actually physically thirsty (and in the dreams, I keep drinking and drinking but my thirst is never quenched, which is pretty frustrating ). And yes, water does have a taste, at least to me.

Had that on Friday night after a degestation night at our favourite restaurant. Dreamt a woman from my yoga class and I were fighting to get our mouths under a tap and the water was wetting my face and getting in my mouth but I was still thirsty. So, I got up and had a drink.

Alaskans
5th October 2007, 10:30 PM
I recently had a bad dream where I got some green goo in my mouth, It was super foul and (in the dream) I was basicly licking the grass trying to get the taste out of my mouth. When I was younger I had a really nice dream that seemed like heaven and the water was strawberry flavored. Strangely I dont recall ever smelling anything either, I sometimes have 6/7/8th sense type stuff going on though.

CFTraveler
6th October 2007, 01:37 AM
Had that on Friday night after a degestation night at our favourite restaurant. What no imbibing? Sorry I had to.

Beekeeper
6th October 2007, 02:24 AM
What no imbibing? Sorry I had to.

No, there was some imbibing and, believe me, it doesn't take much. When I found myself telling the couple we were having dinner with how beautiful they are and how I just love them I realised that I was probably a little tipsy. :lol: But so were they, so it didn't matter. It was the alcohol that probably dehydrated me.

CFTraveler
6th October 2007, 02:32 AM
:lol: :lol: You crack me up. I can imagine their faces too. :lol: :lol: