PDA

View Full Version : books on God's warrior aspect?

Seeuzin
2nd December 2011, 01:10 PM
short version: looking for books on God/the Universe as a warrior - I have an urge to fight (on many levels) and would like to channel it to higher purpose.

I have enjoyed Ephesians 6:10-18 (verses on the "armor of God.") Are there any good books that expound on these verses?

I have also heard that "Wild at Heart" might be a good book for me. Going to try it.

Books from any religious tradition would be fantastic; doesn't have to be Christian.

ButterflyWoman
2nd December 2011, 01:48 PM
Hmm. One thing that springs to mind is the story of Arjuna and Krishna in the Bhavagad Gita. It's all about a metahphorical battle.

Lots and lots of warrior stuff in Norse mythology, and some in Greek mythology.

Oh, I know, have a look at Joseph Campbell, particularly "The Hero With a Thousand Faces", but his other books on myth are also good. They deal with archetypes, and the archetype of the hero (or warrior) might very well be what you feel calling you.

Seeuzin
3rd December 2011, 12:30 AM
fantastic suggestions and starting points - went to the local new age store, requested to order a copy Campbell's book. Have a copy of Bhagavad Gita obtained from from a library book sale this spring. (I didn't know it would be so timely, I just couldn't refuse it for a dollar! Strange how that works.) Thanks BW.

SoulSail
10th January 2012, 01:02 AM
Forgive my trite addition, but perhaps another viewing of The Matrix.

I like to rewind and rewind the scene at the end when Neo finally sees "reality" and fights with one hand behind his back. Seriously, the whole scene is layered with meaning.

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu. Most everything is translatable to the spirit.

Best,

Soul